DSL provider which serves customer's hostname on their DNS

> By far I've gotten the best satisfaction out of MediaOne.  I got the
> least satisfaction out of RCN.
>
> Despite recent reports of MediaOne's DHCP woes, the only effect it had
> on me was an IP address change two weeks in a row.  I think before that
> I'd only gotten 3 different IPs in the previous year and a half.
>
> MediaOne's service does include a fixed hostname.  Mine is
> h004005516d2d.ne.mediaone.net.  I bought DNS service from EasyDNS (which
> only costs $20/year and I highly recommend it) and can easily CNAME or
> MX my names through the MediaOne hostname.  EasyDNS also supports dynamic
> DNS but I haven't played with that.

I'd have to say that I too am pleased with my MediaOne service. With all
the complaints I've been hearing, I was starting to wonder if I was the
only one who was happy with their service. I have had MediaOne cable modem
access through AT&T Broadband here in Woburn for about three months now,
and the only problem I've had thus far is that I was recently assigned a
new IP address via DHCP. I haven't had to call customer service for
anything, and I haven't experienced any service outages either. I also
haven't had any of my ports blocked (knock on wood) - I run web and email
servers off my home box and thus far no one seems to care. The speed and
latency have been good for me, especially for what I'm paying ($34.95/mo).

I looked into RCN Resilink, but it's more expensive...  I also looked at
DSL, but 1) I'm 12,800 feet from my CO so I'm not sure how fast my service would
be, 2) The cheapest DSL plans I could find were around $49.95/mo. - $15
more per month than I'm paying, and 3)
I'd heard horror stories first-hand from my co-workers about how long it
took to get DSL actually hooked up and working (I called AT&T on a Wednesday,
they came that Saturday and had everything working within an hour, including cable tv).

So unless I'm forced to switch to someone else, MediaOne is working just
fine for me, too.

Peter

--
Peter R. Wood - cephas at cephas.dyndns.org - http://cephas.dyndns.org/