DSL provider which serves customer's hostname on their DNS

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Ali Taalebi wrote:

>  Hi;
>  I just subscribed to MediaOne/ATT service and waiting for arrival
>  of a Router to setup our computers.
>
>  However, after reading your comments about MediaOne/ATT I am doubting
>  my choise and thinking of swithing to a:
>
>  	reliable DSL provider which offers
>  	inclusion of customer's hostname on their DNS.
>
>  Your comments on choosing between:
>  	Verizon, EarthLink, RCN, speackeasy, ...
>  Has anyone been happy with any of their current services?
>
>  Thanks.

Before I begin, I want to note that the problems were with their
cablemodem service, not DSL.  Having said that, I can't imagine the DSL
service is much better, because you would be dealing with the same support
people and the same back office people.

After "the unpleasantness" with AT&T, I took a poll on several mailing
lists I subscribe to with high geek content, and speakeasy was by far the
biggest standout.  They welcome servers, understand Linux and Unix, offer
static IP addresses, and just kinda seem competent.  I hear they have long
hold times for support, but I would put up with that if I could talk to a
person capable of helping me eventually.

Look them up on http://www.dslreports.com

And yes, I'm in the process of ordering SpeakEasy.  Verizon is causing me
grief though with the phone line, and I need to overcome their
incompetence first.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD  "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most
DKK D  experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in;
DK KD  we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
DDDD                                          -Nathaniel Borenstein