upgrades & window managers

I can't comment on upgrading.
But....
I don't know what you mean about transparentr windows. Several terminal
emulators have transparent options, eterm and aterm are 2 than come to
mind.

I generally upgrade from one major relase through minor releases, but I
like to do clean installs between major release numbers. I use SuSE
which has been pretty good, but when doing an upgrade install, you leave
old trash around.

The way I generally set up my system is that when I add programs or
drivers, I keep them in a downloads directory. Normally, I install
programs in /usr/local. So, when I do a clean install, my home directory
tree is backed up as well as my /usr/local and a few more things. Then I
just blow away my / /var and /usr filesystems. My techniques are a bit
different for my desktop where I have a lot of disk and my laptop which is
limited.

On 11 Oct 2001, at 15:37, Robert Schick wrote:

> Any hints on upgrading from Redhat 6.2 to 7.1? Do I have to do a clean
> install, or is there a way to upgrade without having to backup and
> reinstall programs, etc?
>
> Also, what's the sequence to get windows to display transparently?

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org