MediaOne/RR/AT&T cablemodemers alert

David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes;

> They just changed name server IP's.  Had me going crazy why I could find
> things from my server (which got the new numbers through DHCP), but my
> Windows box couldn't (which has the numbers hard-coded, and a rebood to
> change them).
>
> I should probably set up a cacheing-only name server on my linux box to
> solve this problem.  Sounds like a medium-sized project I don't have the
> time or knowledge for right now though.

They changed it with no notice to the customer base? That's pretty lame.
I'd certainly recommend running DNS internally.

I haven't looked at how caching-only servers are defined in the various
linux distributions. If it's actually a complete DNS server that just
happens
to not be serving any zones, then I'd agree it's a good option. If it's
implemented as something that merely passes requests on to the ISP's DNS
server if the request isn't already cached, then I'd suggest running the
complete server.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org