kernel compile fails

I would tend to lean towards this explanation.  I
ran into a similar situation in a 2.2.19 kernel build
where the code for a device driver (can't remember off
the top of my head which) required a function defined
within the lp printer support.  Even though this was
for a server that would never do any printing, this
(seemingly unrelated) device code required that I
configure lp support in.  Try either enabling ppp
or disabling infrared and see what happens.

Gordon