Dual boot question (W2K and Linux)

Hi,

I'm in a jam and would like to know if I can boot a W2K O/S from a small IDE
ext2fs root partition in (/dev/hda1).  I know it will work for Linux, but
not sure about W2K.  I think W2k will complain in the install about going in
/dev/hda2 without a windows partition in hda1.  All my web searches show win
at hda1 booting linux.  The object is to not have to use a floppy to boot
Linux with vmware on a large (30G) drive where the root partitoin is above
the translated 1024 cyl.

Any ideas?

TIA,