Linux that stays on a CD?

Sometimes I hear this spoken of as one of the holy grails of Linux development
-- a Linux distribution that just boots from CD and stays there.  The idea, of
course, being that you can tell somebody "Look, you can temporarily check out
Linux without having to do all that icky repartitioning stuff."  But, games or
no, does such a beast exist?  I'd love to have a couple lying around to show
off (frinstance next time I'm at my dads house just pop it in and say "Hey,
try it for a little while). Kinda makes me sound like a drug dealer, but, you
know, in the *good* way. :)

What would the issues be with such a thing?  Would you have to autodetect the
networking and graphics hardware? Would that be the big hurdle?

BTW, I know a good Linux answer might be "Go ahead and make one yourself", but
I'm more of a user/advocate/zealot than a distribution hacker :).  I suppose I
could try it, but I'd ruin a whole helluvalot of cd's.

Duane

-