adding a user

Are you on a network?  If this is a standalone machine, NFS mounts are
not your problem.  (I'm too tired and lazy to go back and read the whole
thread)

If you are on a network, try typing 'df'.  If you have any filesystems
labelled hostname:/path/to/somewhere, particularly if they mount to
/home, that would be a good clue...

The -d option to useradd lets you specify a home directory.  Use your
friendly neighborhood 'df' command to find someplace that has room...

Use the -D option to change useradd defaults, if you have to create a
whole bunch of users.

--

-Ron-
https://www.yellowbank.com/