cable internet question

you need an ISP that can and is willing to handle it.  There are some
config type problems on their end.  Some ISPs with modem banks allow
this kind of 'bonding'.  I understand that Linux can handle it.

With cable it could be an issue that you are just putting more traffic
on the same cable segment.  That could be a zero sum game.

If you had say satellite or DSL and cable with some router type software
you could choose the best route if you could be allowed to communicate
with the routers using BGP or whatever your vendors use.

I see the need and desire, but it may not be worth it.

Try finding an ISP that is 'close' so you could run real wire or a
microwave link (45MBit link, like a DS3, we were using at work was under
$15K purchased.  The 11MBit link was about $9K so the upgrade was worth
it.) directly to them.  It could be awesome.

While I worked at a data center with multiple DS3's on a switched
100MBit LAN directly into the outgoing routers was pretty awesome.  But
I was at GTE Internetworking (now Genuity) for a while and the bandwidth
on the desktop there was awesome too!

Best of luck ... JC