So Linux isn't ready for the desktop yet, eh? (fwd)

The 12 bit word was not suitable for a modern word processor, however, the
8 did support the full USASCII charater set. It would pack 3 bytes into 2
12 bit words. I wrote a device driver for a Potter printer where we had to
unpack the the triplet and send 6 bit character pairs to the printer, which
took 2 6 bit characters per word.
Additionally, I was one of the programmers on the Burger King POS. We had
to develop our own communication routines. Then on the mainframe side we
had to essentially reconstruct the byte stream into a PDP-8 mempry map
because all of our data was stored in 12 or 24 bit integers on the 8.

But, the PDP-8 was the original RISC mechine :-)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

-