Dare I ask for... help with Win2K and SMS?

Hello to all:

I have never used SQL nor SMS, but am trying to get them installed for
testing.  I have a plain Win2K Advanced Server, SQL 7 and 2000, and SMS
Service Pack 2 (all via MSDN).   I've tried installing both and have SMS
talk to SQL, but it doesn't work.

I have copies of Microsoft Press publications: Systems Management Server
2.0 Resource Guide, Systems Management Server 2.0 Training, and SQL Server
7.0 Resource Guide.  I've glanced through all of them, and no success.

If anyone on either list has pointers, links, etc to help me get SQL
successfully installed and get SMS successfully talking to SQL, I'd be
most grateful.

Thanks for any/all help.

Scott

-