Connectivity woes in Boston

I have AT&T Roadrunner service and during an incident where my Cable router
decided to stop working (mysteriously), I discovered from the "tech support"
guy that they issue all of it's customers a new IP address, on the fly,
every 3 days.  How, may I ask, can they do that while you are surfing or
doing other things online?  Wouldn't that screw up any large projects you
were working on, such as downloading or uploading?

#jlk