[BLU] Re: [BLU] RE: [REDHAT] Dell knocks Linux off the desktop (fwd)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I believe WinME was designed for the low-end, home user, where NT/2000 is
> more for the business, higher-end market.  Thus, home users will likely
> not need as much security and will not tax the OS as much.  That is the
> theory.

The feature that sold me on ME was the save sets on DLL's/registry.  That,
combined with Norton Systemworks, and I never have to worry about backing
out crappy software again (If I determine it's crappy before I install
something else).

I was absolutely blown away when I found out (empirically, not
scientifically) that ME really does take as much memory to run as NT,
while offering 98's functionality plus a few silver bullets I liked.

The main reason I went for it is I wanted to get a clean, registered copy
of Windows when I built my current main desktop machine, and NT would have
been about half the cost of the machine.  And, again, I thought ME would
take less memory.

> > FWIW, by all accounts from the security professionals and
> > administrators who know more than I do about Windows (but especially
> > the security types) that I have had contact with, Windows ME is the
> > worst Windows yet, both in terms of bugginess and in terms of security
> > (they do tend to go hand in hand)...

I do my firewalling WAY before it gets to my laptop or my desktop, so
that's not an issue for me.  But I agree with your point.

-