[BLU] Re: Wireless ethernet?

> I definitely need an access point because I have no free slots in my
> server.
>
> So if I'm not worried about distance (in fact, I'd RATHER it not go more
> than 50 ft or so), is there any difference between the cheap ones and the
> expensive ones?

I've had similar results with the Airport, Cisco number, and the Orinoco.
All of them should cover a good deal more than 50 feet inside. Any of these
will let you use a password protected network so it's not like the neighbors
can hop on your network (I'm not sure why else you would WANT it be less
than 50 ft).

> They seem to vary in price from about $185 to $275 or so. Same question for
> the cards.
>
> Now, I'm assuming the card has to be compatible with Linux.  Since I've
> heard good things from y'all about Linksys, I'd prolly go with that card.
> But does the access card need to be Linux compatible?

The card that was recommended on this list (and I will recommend again) is
the Lucent Orinoco (sp) card. It's a solid, proven, and very supported
802.11 card (ORiNOCO used to the WaveLAN before Lucent changed the name).

> I understand there's some setup work to be done.  But can that be done from
> any computer on the hardwired network, or is it done from the wireless
> client?

You'll need to configure the accesspoint so tha it acts like you want it to.
As someone mentioned before, the Airport has a icky little java app to help
you do it.

--
Mako Hill
mako at debian.org