dynamic dns at home?

Don't know if this helps but I'm a TZO user and here's how I'm
configured.

  cable ---> cable modem ---> SMC router ---> mail/web host

				 +--->
				 +--->  wireless hosts (clients)
				 +--->

The SMC has the public address on DHCP lease from RCN.  The inside
interface for my SMC is the default - 192.168.13.254.

My mail/web host has a fixed address (192.168.123.2) which is mapped
to an internal name (bbox.memecycle.com) with a local hosts file.  The
SMC is configured to port-forward a small number of ports to bbox and
drop everything else.  bbox runs the TZO update script which keeps
"memecycle.com" mapped to the currently leased RCN IP address.

The SMC allows me to segment my address space into fixed address and
DHCP floating address spaces.  So it was a no brainer, .1 - .127 are
fixed and .128 - .253 float.  The machines with wireless cards have
floating adresses.

The network is small - at most 3 wired ports, 3 wireless cards and the
router.  I have a 3-line hosts file maintained at bbox that provides
localhost, bbox and the SMC.  Practically speaking if I need to use
the network to move things into the wireless boxes, I pull.  If I
really need to get at one of the DHCP'd machines, I use its IP
address.  If it gets to be a drag I drop in a hosts entry and give the
machine a fixed address for a while.

If you're using Linux as your router and DHCP server, give your mail
machine a fixed address, setup ipchains/iptables port forwarding to
your mail machine from outside.  If you want to bang on your mail
machine using the inside address, propogate a hosts file to the other
boxes or get used to typing the IP address.

Running your own DNS for a 3-node network is overkill.

ccb

--
Charles C. Bennett, Jr.			VA Linux Systems
Systems Engineer, SourceForge OnSite	25 Burlington Mall Rd., Suite 300

-