dynamic dns at home?

You can use one of the small cable modem routers (such as Linksys BEFSR41
or Netgear RT314). Both provide DHCP. Then within your network, you can run
a dns service. The Linksys does provide name services for the DHCP served
clients, but only those running Windows. It does not pick up my laptop's
hostname (from Linux), which may be a misconfiguration on my part.
Duane Morin wrote:
> Ok, I'm happily up and running with my cable modem and the tzo service
> (thanks to the list!)  Here's a new question - I want to have a small
> (very -- maybe 3 machines tops) at home behind my router.  But I really
> only want to use DHCP to serve the machines (I have a work laptop that's
> alot happier with DHCP).  But in order for one to work as mail/web server
> I need to be able to address machines by name.  So what I'm wondering is,
> can I set up my own little dynamic dns server just for these three
> machines so that no matter which IP my mail server gets, I can just have
> the other boxen (one of them being a dumb windows machine) refer to it by
> name?
>
> Oh..umm...I think I just answered my own question -- how would the
> machines know what IP address to hit for DNS? Hmmmmf.
>
> Duane
>

> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group