Remote Monitoring

> Could anyone recommend a remote monitoring daemon/process that could be used to monitor the
> availability of a remote host?

My preference lies with Nocol.  It's not as full-featured as some of the commercial alternatives (or so I hear), but I haven't found anything that I can't do with it.  The page is here:

http://www.netplex-tech.com/software/nocol/

I hadn't looked in a while and now it appears that it's been split into a new project (Snips), but other than the change of name and that development on Nocol has been stopped, I can't find any differences.  Whatever, I'm running Nocol 4.3.1 in a few places at the moment, so that's my suggestion.

-b
-