external monitor from a laptop

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Robert Schick wrote:

>List- I have a Gateway Solo 3150 running RH 6.2. Because it has a NeoMagic
>driver, I'm using XF86 to drive the x-server. The screen, however, is quite
>small and I'm looking to buy an external monitor to make life easier on my
>eyes. Before I kick down the $, any advice about setting up an external
>monitor? Is it easily supported? The resolution of my laptop is 800 x 600;
>can one send a feed to the external monitor at the monitor's resolution
>even if it exceeds the laptops? Thanks, Rob

This depends entirely on the capabilities of the graphics hardware
inside the laptop.  Gateway's website lists specifications for your
notebook[1] that claim it supports XGA, SVGA, and VGA on the external
monitor, as well as simultaneous LCD and external monitor usage, so
you should be able to get 1024x768 on the external monitor, but I
wouldn't hope for more than that.

As for XF86, probably the easiest way would be to keep a couple of
XF86config files (one for the laptop display, one for the external
monitor) and to just point X at the appropriate file for your current
configuration.

mwl+blu at alumni.unh.edu
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-
Put your wasted CPU cycles to use: http://www.distributed.net/
"Shut Up And Show Them The Code"
 http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/shut-up-and-show-them.html

-