[BLU.] linux on old hardware?

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 08:27:08PM -0400, David Kramer wrote:

> Linux kernels and distributions tend NOT to drop support for older
> hardware like Microsoft does, so compatability will most likely not be an
> issue.  Storage and RAM might.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule...  The big example here
is that XFree86 4.x still does not support a lot of older cards that
were supported in the 3.3.x releases.  If you have really old video
hardware, you may (or may not) be out of luck using it with newer
distributions, if you need X and/or want to use a XFree86 4.x release.

I don't believe the SETI at home clients need X though (am I wrong?), so
if that's what you want to use them for, you should not have any
trouble.  I wouldn't recommend installing RH 6.0 on them, as it was
buggy and has been superseded by RH 6.2 -- Red Hat seems to only
support the latest rev of a particular major release.

Red Hat 6.2 is also a bit buggy, but with all the latest updates
installed it's pretty good.