[BLU.] Re: Future Linux machines?

    I think I had sent a reply that had gone only to Mr. Bilow, so let me add my
two cents here again. It increasingly sounds as if there is little use for this
hardware beyond a specialized use, but that seems like something more than
adequate for secure routers or firewalls.
    The issue would be coming up with a standard OS install for their use rather
than relying on the standard CD-ROM bootup and manual install. Final
configuration for the end user must also be simple and straight forward but an
easy to use graphics interface may not be a serious choice with these units.
    IF most of these are identical units, then coming up with a standard install
that can be quickly transferred from hard drive to hard drive is much
simplified. If there are a variety of systems, this gets harder but certainly
not impossible.
    I think the real value in these is just as routers and firewalls, and that
is in itself limited by the hardware characteristics. LRP.org has compact
firewalls and routers that can do the job even with just a floppy or two, but it
would be better to have a modest hard drive available so that more general
installs can be used.
    Again, a standard install will be beneficial, especially if you can get
volunteer labor to do the grunt work.

Good luck on a noble cause.

-