Future Linux machines?

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> However, I have to say that the latest desktop packages (KDE, Gnome) are
> memory hogs.  KDE 2 is even more demanding than KDE 1.  I wouldn't want to
> run either with less than 32mb.

Perhaps they could be used as cheap fileservers. You could drop in a large
hard drive, install the OS, then rip out the cdrom drive to make room for
a second drive. If the machines aren't too old to have a second IDE
channel, then you can toss in two more drives. Or retail the cdrom and
operate it with one (or three) drives.

NFS or Samba services should run fine on such a setup. Doubling up IDE
devices on a controller will likely cause a performance hit, but I'd
expect it to be minimal if you don't simltaneously access both drives.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org

-