Delegating in-addr.arpa for subnetted address space

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 09:21:28AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Another way of doing this is to you CNAME records have have a
> delegrated subdomain.  For example:
>
> 	$ORIGIN 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.
> 	* * *
> 	16-28	NS	ns.thorin.com.
> 	16	CNAME	16.16-28
> 	17	CNAME	17.16-28

[SNIP]

> And yes, this is legal to do, and is one of the recommended methods
> for CIDR in-addr.

Yes, you can do this, but the above part still needs to be set up by
your ISP (since they control the reverse DNS for your block), and it's
probably just as easy to have them maintain the host names directly,
unless you're going to be changing them frequently.

There's also a good chance that the guy doing the work on the other
end won't understand what you're talking about if you ask him to do
that for you.  Paul and I once spent about a half an hour explaining
what a glue record is to our ISP's "DNS expert" support tech.  We
eventually had to e-mail him the record we wanted them to create.
Evidently he'd never dealt with subdomains before...

[For those unfamiliar with the term, the NS record above is a glue
record -- one way to think if it is that it "glues" delegated zones to
the parent zone.]