Future Linux machines?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 06:23:27AM -0400, Michael Bilow wrote:
> Offsetting these downsides is the probability that the computers could go
> very, very cheaply.  I would be happy to get $50 each for machines like
> this, with Linux preinstalled and configured.

I saw a table full of computers like this about a year ago at a
computer show, selling for $25 apiece.  They were all still there when
I left...

8MB of RAM just isn't much these days...  it's fine for those (few)
who are happy running in text mode, but nowadays X and its requisite
desktop environments require much, much more than that -- at least
32MB.  And that doesn't leave anything to run your apps with.  Most of
these things need 64MB just to be usable.

Sure, you can run a really light-weight window manager like FVWM, but
for those just getting acquainted with Linux, this is a harder option,
because it's not Windows-like (though it can be made to look like it,
with some effort), takes more configuration (by editing config files
by hand), and isn't what the Installer sets you up with.  Most of the
people who are just coming around to Linux now (in my experience) will
not want to deal with that.  Most people use computers to make their
lives easier.  They don't want to tinker with them.

Aside from that, just installing Linux takes a lot more disk space
than these things are likely to have.  Choosing one of the "standard"
installs of Red Hat 7.1 (for example) requires about a GB of disk space.

About the only use I can see for such a machine today is as a firewall
or router.  Much better machines can be had for very little money.
You can put together a respectable Linux workstation for under $400.
Personally I'd probably take one of these machines if they were being
given away, but I wouldn't pay money for one.