Help with disk crash (long)

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 11:32:11AM -0400, root wrote:

> Of course, it contains  /home, and of course, there are files
> there that aren't backed up.

If you've got important data on a hard drive, and losing that data
will make you a very unhappy camper, then really you MUST back it up.
All hard drives fail eventually, so if you don't make backups, it's
guaranteed with 100% certainty that sooner or later you will lose your
data and be a very unhappy camper.

> Jul  7 22:20:50 ppro kernel:  hdc:hdc: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> Jul  7 22:20:50 ppro kernel: hdc: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=0, sector=0
> Jul  7 22:20:50 ppro kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0

I'm neither a hardware nor kernel expert by any means, but these
errors suggest to me that your drive is no good.  I've seen errors
like these before on an old system of mine, and that particular drive
was toast.  Had to have it replaced by my vendor.  Fortunately, it was
under warranty.

It may not be impossible to recover your data, but it's probably going
to be really difficult.  If your data is really that important, I
think I might try bringing the disk to some data recovery service.

Good luck, and my sympathies.