Laptop to PC connection via NIC cards, HOW?

I just did that the other day. I connected my Linux laptop to an
associate's laptop. He was unable to read his own CD ROMs, but I read them
fine. I did not set up SAMBA since this was a one time shot. Here's what I
did:
1. Windows2000: Assign IP address and gateway. (Reboot).
2. Linux: Assign IP address and gateway. On SuSE, I can do this through
YaST. On Red Hat use Linuxconf. No reboot is necessary, but you do need to
restart the network. (On SuSE, YaST does this,, not sure if Linuxconf (or
netconf) actually does this or if you need to do this manually).
3. On the Linux system enable the ftp service through /etc/inetd.conf.
4. Both systems run ping to make sure they can see eachother.
5. Windows2000: Run your favorite ftp program.
After you finish, make sure you restore both systems to their original
settings. Remember that if you have a cable modem or DSL that ftp is wide
open to attack.

On a more longterm type of thing set up SAMBA on your Linux box so you can
import and export Windows shares, but that is a bit more involved.

-