Laptop to PC connection via NIC cards, HOW?

Linux (rh6.2) and win95 coexist in the same PC box but on separate hard
drives.  I connected the work laptop (running windows 2000 professional)
to the PC via their NIC cards and a crossover cable.  Win95 sees the PC
NIC card (Linksys LNE 100Tx) but Linux does not (set at eth0).  This is
how far I've gotten.  I have not been able to transfer any files between
the OS environments for lack of information and experience.

My goal is to transfer files from the work laptop into the Linux
environment.  Can someone point me in the right direction:
installing/configuring the NIC card with Linux correctly and setting up
Linux properly for network operation.

Has anyone ever connected a win laptop to a Linux box via a NIC
cards/crossover cable? Any experience to share?

Thanks
jjc