Roadrunner

I got my cable service before cable modems were readily available.  If
there is a problem with my connection they can't blame my cable modem and
hang up. I have not looked at the reliability of the commercial cable
modems.

They do not run PPOE. The cable modem essentially sets you up a bridge to
the head end, where you are effectively on an ethernet LAN with other
clients.
One of the main differences between cable modem service and DSL is that on
a cable modem you are on a LAN with others. You share the LAN
bandwidth(which is about 10 Mbps) with others. Mediaone used to have a
limit on the number of clients per segment. Beyond that number, they would
split the segment. I have never seen a bandwidth problem on my segment. On
DSL you have a dedicated bandwidth to the CO. Once you get to the CO, then
you are shared with all other clients going through that CO.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>