routers vs WAN vs T1 vs dialup

V.35 is a hardware and interface spec that defines the pins
and their characteristics.  V.35 is (was?) pretty popular for high-speed
serial.  HDLC is the protocol, also rather old, but popular for dedicated links
like this.

Sounds like Net2000 is going to give you a CSU/DSU, which is the T1 equivalent
for a modem.  You then use the Cisco to go from the HDLC and V.35 into
Ethernet.  There are a few Cisco boxes out there that combine the CSU/DSU
with the router in a small package.  It's more expensive, but easier to work
with.

Not having used either V.35 or HDLC on a Linux box (but having used them
on Solaris) I'd recommend the Cisco, if only for saving the setup headaches.

-Mark

Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> Can I have some help with nomenclature?  I'm looking into getting a T1 line
> into the office to replace our local telephone lines and dialup ISP connection.
> The T1 line Internet connection is "V.35", which looks to be a high speed
> HDLC serial connection (??).
>
> We currently have a single dial up line with a static IP address assignment
> on a Linux box that performs IP masquerading for all the other computers
> in the office, and works as a mail server.
>
> The guy at Net2000 said that I needed a Cisco 1720 router for the
> Internet connection.  But isn't a router just a Unix box with a communications
> interface that's connected to the Internet?  So isn't my existing firewall
> a "router", even though it uses PPP demand dialing to connect?
>
> It looks like I can get a $650 Riscom/N2 board from SBS or their distributor
> Image Stream solutions, use the stock driver n2.c that comes with Linux
> distributions, and substitute it for the PPP dialup interface, leaving
> the rest alone (with a different static IP address from Net2000).
>
> Is it really this simple?  What have I missed?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -

Mark Komarinski - Senior Systems Engineer - VA Linux Systems
(cell)  978-697-2228
(email) mkomarinski at valinux.com
"Have one day pleasant" - Babelfish

-