Samba printing update

David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> writes:

> UPDATE: I figured out my wife logs in as Administrator.  I added
> Administrator to /etc/passwd with the sam euid/gid as her normal login,
> then added it to smbpasswd.  Then I saw the printer and can attach to
> it.
>
> When I try to print, though, it says "Windows cannot print because there
> is a problem with the current printer setup", implying "We're not gonna
> tell you what the problem is cuz you're a dumb Windows user and you
> couldn't fix it anyway".

I've heard claims in the past that Things Break if you create a hostname
or username that's longer than 8 characters. The claim was about Solaris,
but I had the same problem last time I set up majordomo on linux, where it
wouldn't work right until I chopped the username and groupname down to
8 characters (majordom instead of majordomo). Longer aliases are fine,
of course, but the names in /etc/passwd and /etc/group had to be no more
than 8 characters long.

Perhaps samba is choking on the long name "Administrator".

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.blu.org

-