MACs & cable modems...

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 08:55:49AM -0400, Christoph Doerbeck A242369 wrote:

> Anyway, his house is loaded with Apple Macs & is broadband connection
> is painfully slow (downloads at around 36k).

Geez, I remember getting about 4k with my 28.8kbps modem and thinking
that was blazing fast!

> Are there any Mac wizards that have some pointers as to what might
> be misconfigured?

It may be that nothing is misconfigured.  He may be on an overloaded
segment, or it may be that the servers he's been trying are slow or
overloaded themselves.  It may also be that the head end that serves
his modem is sick (though this usually causes intermittent
connectivity problems, rather than just slow transfer speeds).