MACs & cable modems...

>   Are there any Mac wizards that have some pointers as to what might
>   be misconfigured?   I'm planning to swing by his place again next
>   weekend with a cable router and my laptop to trouble shoot his
>   configuration, but I hoping for the blatantly obvious
>   "Chooser->TCPIP->xxxxxxx" tip which makes his system work better.

Pick up the absolutely marvelous shareware products of
Sustainable Softworks, www.sustworks.com, especially
"IPNetMonitor" and its "Link Rate" test panel.  Follow
that with "OT Tuner" if you show a problem on the source
end.

Really, Peter Sichel's stuff is simply tops.

--dan

my link-rate figures as I write this:

 from cable modem, G3 Mac, AT&T Broadband, Cambridge

 to world.std.com, Brookline: 16 hops, 190KB/sec
 to local segment router: 1 hop, 235KB/sec