MediaOne dns problems... CONCLUSION

>From John Chambers:
> It's not at all difficult to think of other reasons one might like  a
> static address.  Some of the people on this list would like to set up
> their own  gateway/firewall/server  system,  not  because  they  have
> anything  to  give/sell  to  the Net, but because they want a machine
> that they can experiment and learn on.

Practice on a private network/subnet.  You don't need to experiment on
the public Internet.

> Also, there are a lot of people who might like to put up a  web  site
> with  things  like pictures of their children, their vacation, and so
> on.

This is a web service.  Where do you draw the line?  Based on how pretty
the pictures are?  The issue is black and white, but you're trying to
paint everything gray and draw a line that's convenient for you.

> My suspicion is that the primary reason for the clumsy  way  that  M1
> and  other  cable/dns  services  work  is cluelessness on the part of
> their management.  We're talking  about  broadcast  media  and  phone
> company  managers  here,  after  all.   Yeah, they hire knowledgeable
> technical people, but those aren't the ones making the decisions.

Something tells me that if you ran these companies, they would already be
out of business.

>From Derek Martin:
> Do I get the bandwidth, or not? If I do, then who cares how I use it?

Just like telephone service, it's shared.  Your ability to share the
system is based on traffic engineering principles.  (e.g.  It's
impossible for everyone who owns a phone to make a call at the same
time.)  So no, you don't get the bandwidth, unless you want to pay the
premium for SDSL or some other "dedicated access".

Derek, your circular reasoning is making me dizzy.  To paraphrase, "it
costs them *almost* nothing (therefore *something*) to provide xxxx
service, so give it to me for free.  And if they don't make money and go
out of business, its due to bad mgmt."  Nice.

>From Anthony G:
> I just want to be left alone.  In
> return I will not abuse what I pay for.

You're running off TZO, right?  That's already abusing your current
contract.  You want trust?

CONCLUSION: I'm officially dropping this pathetic thread.

No I don't work for an ISP.  In fact I enjoy a fair amount of clever
piracy myself.  However,  I know when I have a good thing, and I don't
selfishly complain that "the whole world is unfair, and I deserve to have
everything that's good for free".

If the service is bad, or the bandwidth is too low, then complain.  But
don't bitch about the rules after you've signed the cheapest service
agreement you could find.

PS: Thanks Kramer for adding some sanity to the thread.

-