MediaOne dns problems

> > In fact the cable company is actually being nice by not canceling your
> > service for breach of contract.
>
> Another way to look at this is that the cable company has a
> customer-unfriendly service agreement.  My main interest is running my
> own mail server, and firewalling off my stuff from the other 2000
> people on my segment.  It makes me rather uneasy that anyone can get
> my POP password.  And frankly, I think I can do a much better job at
> keeping my systems and data secure than my provider can.  And for any
> user who is willing to take some time and learn about securing their
> system, this is typically true.  Security at ISPs (but obviously not
> all ISPs) is notoriously terrible.

Mediaone can also throw you off for not using your mediaone mail.  THey
send bulkmail, if you don't download it thats grounds for violating the
contract.  We also consent to all kinds of monitoring.

> If they're not making any money, it's probably bad management, not
> because it can't be profitable.  And, more importantly, if they're not
> making any money, they won't be in business much longer.

AT&T makes plenty of money.

> > Besides all that, you get what you pay for...  If you want better options
> > or service guarantees, they ARE available.

I'm not looking for any guarentees, I just want to be left alone.  In
return I will not abuse what I pay for.  Of which running personal servers
for Web & Email is not abuse.  Being a bandwith hog is abuse.  If they ask
me to shut it off, I suppose I will - but I'm not doing there network any
harm.  I keep an eye on my logs to be sure.

> registration record (actually your DNS server's host record) with your
> registrar to point to the new IP address.  (Note that this is much
> easier with some registrars than with others).

I have my own sub domain, that could easily become my own domain.  Check
out tzo.com they have good easy solutions that are reasonably priced.

I should have responded a thread sooner, oh well,

Anthony

-