MediaOne dns problems

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:10:27AM -0400, Ron Peterson wrote:
> Chris Janicki wrote:
> >
> > Hey folks, you're not *paying* for a static IP address or even DNS
> > service.  What do you expect?  For $30-$50/mo you're only supposed to be
> > surfing the web, not serving it.
>
> The point is, they are creating an /artificial/ demand for premium
> services by being jackasses about the basic services.  Which they can
> afford to do because they are a monopoly.

Bingo.

I would also make the point that when I signed up for MediaOne's
service, they told me I had a constant connection, and ~1.5Mb/s
downstream and (I can't remember but either) 300kbps or 512kbps
upstream.  What difference does it make whether I use that by
downloading porn and e-mailing it to my friends, or by running a small
personal web server?

Do I get the bandwidth, or not?  If I do, then who cares how I use it?
Since they limit it via the CM, I can't exceed what they give me
without illegally tampering with the equipment (or at least being
guilty of theft of bandwitdth, for those who own their modems), at
which point I can be prosecuted.  So what's the big deal?

P.S. sorry about the blank post...  gnuserv wasn't running.  :(

--
  "I have written this book partly to correct a mistake... A colleage of
mine once told me that the world was full of bad security systems

--Bruce Schneier, from "Secrets & Lies"