Verizon DSL questions

First, I HATE PPPOE. It's a major PITA. Unless I had no other options I
would not choose a provider that uses this. It's just a preference...

I can't say anything about Verizon as I don't have service with them.
Actually, they were supposed to check my wife's business line, but lost the
order.. but that's another story. I have Speakeasy at home in Lexington.
They are not the cheapest, but they are VERY server friendly. I have the
604/128 package w/ 2 static IP's for $59.95/mo. You can get dynamic IP's
for $10/mo less.

However, they don't care what you do with your line (within reason). I even
had a support person once encourage me to try our servers to learn. :-) It
took less than 3 weeks from confirmation of my order to working line. On
Wednesday I'll be moving to the brand-new Boston POP, which should fix the
latency problems I've been having.

Now that I sound like an ad, I must say I'm not paid by them. But I do pay
them every month for good service. :-)

At 11:40 PM 4/9/01 -0400, Mark Caron wrote:
>I'm considering DSL for myself at home.  I've already checked out the Verizon
>site and I am about 6,000 ft or so away from the c.o., so I'm ok on that
>front.
>I am wondering if there's anything new regarding Verizon DSL in regards to
>Linux.  How Linux friendly are they these days?  I know from reading their
>website that I'm probably on my own for supporting linux on their DSL, but
>that's ok I figured that.  Any problems or other considerations I should be
>looking into?  Besides buying a DSL/cable modem router, that's already on the
>'to buy' list.  I know it's about a 3 week wait I believe for the setup date.
>Also a friend of mine in NYC just got hers 2 weeks ago, and had to go
>through a
>setup program on her windows box.  Is this just setting up pppoe?  Or does it
>also setup the DSL modem?  Am I correct in thinking that it's just the
>pppoe and
>I can just setup my linux box with pppoe and setup the DSL router and be done
>with it.  Or should I just plug in my win95 harddrive and let the setup
>program
>setup the DSL modem then fire up linux and finish setting up linux and the DSL
>router?
>
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Mark
>-
>Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with
>"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the
>message body to discuss-request at blu.org (Subject line is ignored).

Drew Taylor
mailto:drew at drewtaylor.com
http://www.drewtaylor.com/