Verizon DSL questions

TIAC.  I'm so sorry.  Okay, it's PSI now, but still...;-)

> I'm considering DSL for myself at home.  I've already checked out the Verizon
> site and I am about 6,000 ft or so away from the c.o., so I'm ok on that front.
> I am wondering if there's anything new regarding Verizon DSL in regards to
> Linux.  How Linux friendly are they these days?  I know from reading their

As far as I know the only catch is that they use PPPoE.  It's not that
tough to set up using Roaring Penguin.  As for other providers, I really
like SpeakEasy's service, and they tend to cater to those who know what
they want out of a broadband connection.  See www.speakeasy.net for
details.

> website that I'm probably on my own for supporting linux on their DSL, but
> that's ok I figured that.  Any problems or other considerations I should be
> looking into?  Besides buying a DSL/cable modem router, that's already on the
> 'to buy' list.  I know it's about a 3 week wait I believe for the setup date.

You might want to consider going with a leasing/rental deal (depending
on the provider), as I've found that jumping from provider to provider,
should you choose to do so, can often mean switching equipment over and
over, and I really wouldn't want to have bought all the modems/routers
that have gone through my household.

> Also a friend of mine in NYC just got hers 2 weeks ago, and had to go through a
> setup program on her windows box.  Is this just setting up pppoe?  Or does it
> also setup the DSL modem?  Am I correct in thinking that it's just the pppoe and
> I can just setup my linux box with pppoe and setup the DSL router and be done
> with it.  Or should I just plug in my win95 harddrive and let the setup program
> setup the DSL modem then fire up linux and finish setting up linux and the DSL
> router?

Just normal PPPoE, last I had heard from anyone.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
(http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20001024)
-