Verizon DSL questions

I'm considering DSL for myself at home.  I've already checked out the Verizon
site and I am about 6,000 ft or so away from the c.o., so I'm ok on that front.
I am wondering if there's anything new regarding Verizon DSL in regards to
Linux.  How Linux friendly are they these days?  I know from reading their
website that I'm probably on my own for supporting linux on their DSL, but
that's ok I figured that.  Any problems or other considerations I should be
looking into?  Besides buying a DSL/cable modem router, that's already on the
'to buy' list.  I know it's about a 3 week wait I believe for the setup date.
Also a friend of mine in NYC just got hers 2 weeks ago, and had to go through a
setup program on her windows box.  Is this just setting up pppoe?  Or does it
also setup the DSL modem?  Am I correct in thinking that it's just the pppoe and
I can just setup my linux box with pppoe and setup the DSL router and be done
with it.  Or should I just plug in my win95 harddrive and let the setup program
setup the DSL modem then fire up linux and finish setting up linux and the DSL
router?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark
-