MediaOne dns problems

Hey folks, you're not *paying* for a static IP address or even DNS
service.  What do you expect?  For $30-$50/mo you're only supposed to be
surfing the web, not serving it.  Their renumbering/DNS issues have no
effect (besides a minute of downtime) on the service provided to a
surfer-only.

Their bandwidth isn't unlimited, so if it gets chewed up by home-grown
servers then they'll have to deploy more facilities, raising the cost for
everyone.  If the technology was in place I wouldn't be surprised if they
changed your IP/DNS daily.

If you want to serve, try SDSL, or maybe co-locate.  Maybe BLU members
could organize to share a co-located server, splitting the
costs/resources, thereby bringing the price down to something manageable?
 It would probably be a great experience for a sys admin, and users would
have a taste of the real world where computing resources are shared more
and more (since computing power is growing quicker than needs).

Chris

MediaOne dns problems:

-