openBSD_2.8/2.7

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Brad Noyes wrote:

> Getting the floppy28.fs onto a floppy does not need to be copied to a
> formatted flopopy. The floppy28.fs is a floppy image which can be copied to

   The floppy doesn't _need_ to be formatted, but formatting it first is
sometimes an easier way to find bad blocks before they become a problem.
>From the README:
"Use properly formatted perfect floppies with NO BAD BLOCKS or you will
lose."

> to a floppy drive using dd. For example in linux, 'dd if=floppy28.fs
> of=/dev/fd0' (if, means input file, of mean2s output file).

   Or if stuck in MS land, rawrite.exe or ntrw.exe will work. They're both
on the 2.8 (probably 2.7 also) CD, and the syntax is something like:
messydos> rawrite [image] a:

> For burning openbsd2.8, did you download the iso image ? The iso is
> copyrighted be the auther of openbsd, so you shouldn't be able to download

   I'm curious about this as well.  Has the policy changed, or is this a
3rd party ISO, which should be perfectly legal.

> If you are new to unix, instlaling openbsd can be dificult. If you order the
> CD from the openbsd web site (only $30 donation to openbsd), it comes with a
> little documentaion, and the CD is bootable (for i386 arch).

   Installing OpenBSD isn't as easy as the later point-and-drool Linux
distros, but it's straight forward and it (usually) just works.  A second
system with a net connection for browsing the FAQ and docs would be
advisable when starting out.
   The official CDs are also available at SoftPro for $30 - the 10% "I
have a pulse" discount.  Not as much money goes back to the project, but
it's instant gratification.

> On Tuesday 03 April 2001 18:32, bill h wrote:
> >  i am downloading open bsd 2.8 and am going to burn it to a cd. If i burn
> > it from a MS.os will the cd still boot?

   Maybe.  If it's a bootable ISO image, and it's burned properly
(ie, Adaptec EZ-CD's "Create CD from disc image"), it should boot.  If
you're trying to build a custom disc, you'll have to tell your mastering
software to create a bootable disc using the "cdrom28.fs" file as the boot
image.

> > Also what is the format(no pun) to format a floppy for ext2.

   Here's a bit of a guess, since I don't do this very often.  I believe
you run "fdformat /dev/fd0" followed by "mkfs /dev/fd0".  I'd test it. but
I don't have a scratch floppy handy and it's WAY past my bedtime.

--
     -Matt

To err is human, but when the eraser wears out before the pencil,
you're overdoing it a little.

-