Why would a NIC card NOT be recognized?

   Check the system logs for errors at the time the cards should be
initialized.  With Red Hat you can scan through /var/log/messages for
lines containing "3c509".  IIRC, an IRQ or IO conflict will result in a
message like, "device or resource busy".
   You can set the IO address and IRQ line manually (and disable
Plug-n-Play) with the "3c5x9cfg.exe" program on the 3Com Etherdisk at:
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm
   You'll need a DOS or Win9x boot disk to run the utility.

   It would be odd that "identical" machines would behave differently.
However, if the cards are expecting to be PnP configured they can get
confused.  While it's possible to use isapnp in this case, I personally
find it easier in the long run to statically configure the cards.  For
reference, I've found that IO 0x300 and IRQ 10 work well in most cases.

   Hope this helps,

--
     -Matt

Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it's time to get up.

-