How does ip masquerading work (overview)?

"Kevin M. Gleason" wrote:

> I assume that eth0 is the default for the internal network, is the other
> (eth1 or whatever) assumed to be the outside world?
> I have my 10baseT card set up for eth1 and 100baseT set for eth0. If
> line one is correct how can I change it so the internal network (running
> 10 M) will see the 10 M side of my Linux box (and the outside world will
> see me as a 100 M connection?

There's really no particular magic that says that eth0 is the internal
network and eth1 is the external network. It all comes down to how you
configure your cards and routing. If you're talking about using a
distribution that automatically sets up masquerading, it's easiest to
stick with whatever the distro wants.

It's not likely that there is any advantage to using the 100Mbps card to
connect to the outside world. Of course, if you have an Internet
connection faster than 10Mbps, there is. And I'm jealous. You might well
upgrade your LAN to 100Mbps; it's far more likely than upgrading your
Internet connection to that high a speed. So I'd stay with the way you
have things now.

The outside world won't see you as "a 100M connection"; they will see
you as having whatever size pipe you get from your internet provider. If
it's cable or DSL, the modem probably doesn't even have a 100Mbps
Ethernet port.
-