Linux newbie questions

Ryan L. Kitchen said:

> The 2.4.0 Kernel has file options for both NTFS and dos/windows write and
> read options.  These, as before mentioned, must be built in. Write in NTFS
> is a little shaky, but mounting a NT2000 partition and reading from it is
> no trouble after the options are built into the Kernel (in 2.4.0)...

Actually, they can be used as modules as well (I use dos/windows as a module).
 Be aware that on the Kernel Mailing List, NTFS write is considered a "You
Have Been Warned" item, and while some tools are being developed to support
recovery (and eventually write support), it's quite common (according to LKML
members posting) for it to munge the FS.  This is especially true with NT2000,
as apparently MS changed the format in some way.
NTFS Support Project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/

jeff

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
smith at missioncriticallinux.com   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  sodium substrate n.

 Syn salt substrate.

-