InstallFest Post Mortum...

> began to flash (so much that I couldn't login). How does one recover
> from choosing the right monitor with the wrong hor/vert settings? Or is
> there a recovery at all?

Of course there's a recovery :).

The simplest solution is to reboot your system (ctrl-alt-del), and at the
lilo prompt pass linux the "single" parameter; e.g.:

	LILO: linux single

This will boot your linux system to single user mode, which should result
in you getting a root shell prompt.  Now you can start fiddling with your
X configuration.  You can try Xconfigurator, or you can try editing your
XF86Config file manually.

When you get things working, reboot and away you go [1].

If you can't get X working to your satisfaction, you can set your system
up such that it doesn't start X at boot time: edit /etc/inittab, and
change:

  id:5:initdefault:

  id:3:initdefault:

Reboot.  You'll get a console login prompt instead of X.

-- Lars

[1] For the pedantics out there: you don't really have to reboot; typing
'init 5' will bring you up to multiuser mode with X.  However, rebooting
is a good way to make sure that *everything* works.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at larsshack.org> --> http://www.larsshack.org/

-