From: Mark J. Dulcey [mailto:mark at buttery.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 11:15 AM
To: zoqix
Cc: New York Linux User Group (z); Boston Linux Mail List - z
Subject: Re: HTTP server and Web Server and Media Server

> zoqix wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> May I know the exact defination of a HTTP server, Web Server and Media
> server? I've set up a HTTP server before but what's the difference
> between the 3?

An HTTP server and a web server are the same thing.

The term "media server" is typically used for a server that serves
streaming media (rather than downloadable media files, which can be done
by a web or FTP server) of some sort.

> I have a customized HTTP server but I need to set up a Media Server on
> my system to server media to clients connected to my system. What
> should I do?
> And does it require any special server or software to support real
> audio and video streaming?

RealAudio and RealVideo files are normally served by (what else) a
RealServer. You can get a basic version of RealServer (that will serve
up to 25 users) for free from http://www.realnetworks.com. They will
also try hard to sell you fancier versions of the server software, as
well as content preparation tools; actually finding the links for the
free server software is a challenge. The RealServer software can also
supply streaming QuickTime files. RealServer comes in a version for
Linux, as well as for many other operating systems.

The other commercial players in the media server business are Apple,
with their QuickTime Streaming Server (part of Mac OS X Server), and
Microsoft, with their Windows Media Services (on Windows NT or Windows
2000). In the free software world, there's Icecast
(http://www.icecast.org), which streams MP3 audio files.
-
-