RH7 - quick look the other way!

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 linuxguy at ici.net wrote:

> My BIGGEST headache was when I went to go apply the recommended patches.
> My / (root) filesystem didn't have enough room to install the packages.

   My solution usually comes in two parts. First, get the latest up2date
BEFORE any other patches.  The newest version is much nicer to use
(actually includes a download progress bar, for one), and seems more
stable.  Then I'd install the updates a handful at a time to keep within
my size limits.  Of course, if /var or /var/spool has <50MB, you're stuck.

> After fiddling for about an hour trying to repair the failed kernel update,

   I'm going to second what Thorin said.  More times than I'd like to
admit I've updated a kernel with RPM and forgotten to re-install lilo.
IIRC, RPM is nice enough to blow away your old kernel in the update
process, so if the new one is broken there's no easy way to make it work.
   Also, don't forget about the RAM disk, if your system needs it.

> Anyone else running 7.0 (un)happily?

   I'm at 5-6 systems and growing.  I just installed on the two systems in
my home office on Friday.  Except for the SCSI card in one not working, my
only problems have been annoyances.  Annoyances like having to apply
almost 300MB of patches to a 1GB install...

--
     -Matt

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

-