RH7 - quick look the other way!

I've been running RH7 on a bunch of boxes.
The failed Kernel Update (if you used up2date) was probably due to
the fact that update script does not re-configure lilo.conf to point
to the new kernel image.  That caught me off-guard when I upgraded
the first machine. Blew the dust off a boot disk and fixed the
problem.

The use of /var/spool/up2date space wasn't a big deal as I always
partition /var with lots of room - especially since ftp and www live
under /var as well.  I'm still trying to figure out why RH didn't use
the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ tree to store the files once downloaded...

Hardening was pretty straight forward with some minor tweaks to the
usual process in relation to xinetd. IMHO, RH is getting much better
at securing "out-of-the-box" installations.

Overall, I like it and recommend it regularly.  However, I'm trying
to pin down why memory resources are not being released for extended
periods (hours) when programs (such as gnome and it's related
applications) have terminated and I'm back in the shell.

What's the "whole compiler thing" you reference?  I haven't noticed
any major problems and I compile code regularly.

- --Thorin