Microsoft hits new ethical low point?

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jeffry Smith wrote:

> At least with Linux, you CAN recompile (assuming Open Source apps - another
> benefit of Open Source).  With Windows you have no choice.

Open source != Linux. There are plenty of open source applications for
Windows. Granted, if you value open source applications it doesn't make
much sense to choose Windows as a platform, since most of the open source
tools available are provided almost as an afterthought (Hey - lets port
this to windows). But they are there. ;)

> That nifty Sparc 5
> - it's a boat-anchor for windows, but a great Linux machine.

As someone who has toiled with Linux on a Sparc, I would hesitate to use
the word "great". It's really cool though. I remember being really
excited the first time I booted Linux up on a Space after the install and
got a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw Tux instead of the Sun logo during
bootup. ;)

Niall Kavanagh, niall at kst.com
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers:
http://www.kst.com

-