klogd and GPF's (reboots)

Well,

here's a new one on me.  I had a power-supply fail on my home server
today.  So, I ran out to my friendly computer store and bought a
replacement.  Then, after having installed said unit, I booted up
my box.

Well, following a few manual fsck's, the system was ready for multi-user
mode.  Here's where the fun begins.

Everytime syslog (& klogd) started (in rc3.d), the system would reboot.
klogd was definitely the culprit.

For the time being, I commented out klogd from the startup.  System comes
up fine.

I then ran a cleaning tape through my 8mm tape drive (beacuse I don't
like what's happening and want a current backup of my data).  Low and
behold, now I can start klogd without rebooting my box & my system has been
stable for nearly an hour.

What gives?  Can anyone connect the dots for me?

This is RH 6.1 with a custom compiled SMP-enabled 2.2.12 kernel.
I'm guessing it's got something to do with the system.map and my custom
kernel.  I'm also wondering if I've fixed the problem at all.  Blah!

- christoph

-