VIRUS ALERT!

Someone sent me this response, and I wanted to clarify:

> Wow! In a  JPG file?

It is NOT a jpg file.  The actual attachment is AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs,
but the .vbs is hidden by MS-OutBreak.  Leave it to Microsoft to conceal
information that would enable you to make informed decisions about how to
treat a given file/message.  This attachment is a Visual Basic Script
which is just yet another re-write of the Iloveyou virus.

Apparently, the vbscript is run by simply previewing the e-mail (whatever
that means), so you don't even need to "open" it to activate the virus.  I
don't use OutLook or any other MS product on my desktop, so you'll have
to forgive my ignorance there...

I'm told that you need to "block-delete" the message, so as not to preview
it.  This means you must select a block of messages which contain this
one, and delete the whole block.  Selecting the message so that you can
delete it individually is apparently enough to activate the virus, if you
have not enabled the security features that prevent this (i.e.
uninstalling MS-OutBreak).

No doubt someone with more familiarity with Microsoft products will
clarify anything I've mis-stated...

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator