apache as proxy server?

Sheldon Dubrowin <dubrowin at yahoo.com> wrote:
| I had one of these running at my last company and a friend there was nice
| enough to send me the config again.  This is the section you want to make
| sure you have:

Well, I copied your  example  to  my  httpd.conf  file,  changed  the
CacheRoot  line to point to the right place, ran "apachectl restart",
and saw the "resuming normal operations" message in the log file.  So
I  went  to the Windoze machine and hit the reload button for my home
page here on trillian.mit.edu.  It failed exactly  the  same  way  as
before. The browser did get a request and deliver a page, but it came
from the proxy web server's disk, not from trillian.mit.edu.  Part of
the evidence is clear:  The page contains a reference to
  http://dmoz.org/img/cool1.gif

The GET for this URL shows up in the access_log as:
   192.168.1.5 - - [08/Feb/2001:12:02:45 -0500] "GET http://dmoz.org/img/cool1.gif HTTP/1.0" 404 274

Note the error code 404.  The error_log file contains:
   [Thu Feb  8 12:02:45 2001] [error] [client 192.168.1.5] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/img/cool1.gif

This shows clearly that apache didn't  forward  the  GET  request  to
dmz.org  as  it  should; it tried to get img/cool1.gif out of its own
htdocs directory.  It's not there, of course; it's on dmoz.org.

So it appears that, while apache accepts the  <IfModule  mod_proxy.c>
lines  without complaint, it doesn't behave as a proxy server at all.
It ignores the http://dmoz.org/ at the start of this URL and tries to
get the file from its own disk.
| **** get: invalid file 'the' for list 'discuss'.

There are no error messages other than the above.

Any suggestions where I might look to find out what's wrong?

If I could make this work, it would satisfy 99% of  this  household's
use of the Net from Windows machines, and we could switch over to RCN
tomorrow (assuming that pump works as advertised ;-) ...

-